Monday, December 21, 2009

My Gridiron Guy

I wouldn't quite say that I coerced Jacob into playing football this year. Manipulated, might be a better choice of words because I did make the opportunity look a little more enticing by telling him he could play on the same team as one of his neighborhood buddies.

Those of you who know us well, know that we are a pigskin loving family. In fact, I'd say it is one of my absolute favorite sports to play and watch. So, when it came time for YMCA sign-ups and Jacob's choices were soccer or football, I heavily pushed the chance for him to play football. To my absolute suprise, he consented.

It was fun getting to watch him improve throughout the season. He began not knowing what the differences between offense and defense were. If you were to tell him to line up on the line of scrimmage, he'd give you a blank stare. If you asked him how many chances a team had to make a first down, he'd respond by saying, "what's a first down?" (Lol.) But, by the end of the season he could play defensive positions almost as well as offensive positions and looked forward to his practices and especially his games. I'd definitely say he was the most improved player on his team. We were so proud that he went out of his comfort zone to try something new.

Here are a few pictures of my gridiron guy.


4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Jacob officially knows more about football than me. With my nephew playing this year I have had a bit of a refresher from high school and I discovered that I love to play football, even though I suck. We should have a ward football game, but now that you know that I suck you won't want me on your team. Dang it! Anyway, Jacob is such a handsome little dude. That's so awesome that he started playing football so young.

I have to tell you how thrilled I am with all of your postings as of late. You are one of my favorite bloggers. Excellent writing!

I love the birthday post. The cake turned out awesome. Landon is so freaking cute! Everytime I see him I want to squeeze him.

Such a beautiful family!

(I think that was the longest blog comment ever. Sorry I ramble. I'm done now.)

Jen said...

Haha. You're awesome. I love getting comments on the blog, but it seems most people don't take the time to do that anymore (lame!). Although, I'm not one to talk, because I've gotten lazy about it too, or just don't want people to realize how much I really stalk their blog, lol. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it. And, I'd have you on my football team ANY day! As soon as this baby is out of me, let's plan a game!

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

LOOK at him GO!!!! That is so great, you got some big action shots!!! I am sure Josh is loving this!

The Garber Family said...

Hi! I found you through Holly Rose's blog and it's so fun to see what you guys are up to. I can't believe how big your kids are!
Have a great Christmas!