Sunday, December 28, 2008

"What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"... Or So We Hope.



I recently returned home from not-so sunny Las Vegas. My amazingly sweet and generous dad treated me to a fun get-away to Las Vegas to watch the BYU Cougars take on the Wildcats of Arizona in the Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl. The day we flew out of Sea-Tac Airport, schools were cancelled, roads were icy, snow was dumping from the sky and dozens of flights were delayed/cancelled. We felt excited to escape the storm and flee to the desert (although I must admit, the mother hen in me felt a tad bit guilty leaving the kiddos behind, even though I knew they were in good hands). Little did we know that Las Vegas had just experienced a record breaking snow storm of its own. The day prior to our flight, Las Vegas schools had been closed due to snow. It was the first school cancellation for Las Vegas in the last 30 years!! So basically, we fled the cold in one state to arrive to the chaos of bad weather in another state. Oh the weather outside was frightful! Actually, by the time we arrived, the snow was mostly gone, but the temperatures were still frigid to me.

Lay the shock and surprise of freezing weather aside, and the rest of the trip was so much fun. This was the first airplane ride I've taken in several years without children. It was heavenly! (I won't list all of the reasons. You fellow mom's can imagine my list.) I felt footloose and fancy free, to say the very least.

Dad and I had fun roaming aimlessly all over the Vegas Strip. We are both people watchers and found great pleasure wandering around the different hotels and observing. Of course, we partook of the varying cuisine. Where else can you say you had dinner in "Paris" (Paris Hotel),


lunch in "Italy" (Caesar's Palace)


and dinner in "England" (Excalibur Hotel)?


Our waistlines definitely took a buffet beating.

Jason and Amanda and their adorable kids also traveled to meet up with us for the weekend. It was so fun to see them. Little Jordin (our newest niece, is a doll. We miss them and wish we could see them more often.



As for the reason for the trip--the BYU vs. Arizona game.



Let's just say, the game gave me a whole new appreciation for the saying, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." The Cougars, a definite favorite to win the game, clearly didn't have their game faces on. I sure hope that level of play stays in Vegas. I don't want to remember the devastation or the loss. Regardless, the game was still fun despite the loss, and I feel so grateful for the incredible treat it was to travel with my dear old dad. Thanks Dad! I love you.





P.S. Thanks to all of the wonderful people who made this trip possible for me! To Jodi and Laurie, thanks for helping watch my kids while Josh was at work. To Mom and Cami, I love you and appreciate your help with Landon. Josh, you're the best husband a girl could ever hope for. Thanks for letting me go on this trip and holding down the fort! Love you.

0 comments: