Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fair Enough? No Way!



If Josh is truthful, he'd tell you he's had enough of the Puyallup Fair to last a lifetime. He can take it or leave it. Unfortunately for him, I can't get enough of the fair. So, last week we took our family of five to "Do the Puyallup". We've been to the fall fair every year we've lived here (7 in all)and it's just one of those traditions that I'm not willing to give up. I decided this year, instead of solely focusing on pictures of the kids on all of the rides (which haven't changed much over the years), we'd eat our way through the fair (which is also something that is traditional)and I'd document our field trip to the fair with food. Of course, I did have to throw in a few ride pictures for good measure (mostly to prove to my kids that we did do something fun in their childhood). Enjoy.




Literally, 5 seconds after entering the fair, we joined the line for a Fischer scone(baking powder biscuit variety)with fresh raspberry jam.





Five minutes after devouring the scones, we spoiled the kids with their own cotton candy. (Sugar high anyone?)





Cotton candy was followed my personal fair favorite, "Elephant Ears". These are fried scones stretched and shaped into "elephant ears", lathered with butter and the choice of cinnamon and sugar or raspberry jam. We got half and half.







We topped off the night with chocolate & vanilla twist ice cream cones. (As if we needed any more sugar.)

Here are some of the non-food highlights:




























7 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Those elephant ears are HUGE!! And Jake's face (scary face) is hilarious!! I had to look twice to realize it was him! I say keep the tradition! Traditions are so much fun!!

Shells said...

This makes me homesick a little. We went to the Puyallup Fair most years growing up. The first and maybe only concert I went to before College was there. My mom had tickets to see the Osmonds there and one of her friends backed out so they took me with them. I didn't know anything about them at the time, but I had fun and felt so grown up. Dave knows that if we are ever in town during fair season, we are totally there. I compare all other county fairs to that and none of rate very high. It could be my skewed memory, but I like to think not.

Rebecca Pierce said...

Wow, you know how to do the fair! I didn't wait in line for a scone, so I had to make them at home. I think they were almost as tasty. Yummy fair pics! How unfair to post these AFTER the fair is gone for a year!

Anonymous said...

looks like you had a funner time than us. We went last Saturday - it rained the WHOLE time. :(

but i am dissapointed in you - i see no pictures of a Krusty Pup and cow chip cookies. those are my personal favorites.

Leslie Sandberg said...

I love your green vest. I saw that in Target a few weeks ago and was really tempted to buy it!! Good choice...way cute. :)

The Alvords said...

Jen,
Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the adorable pictures of the kiddies in our hats. They are perfect! Kaylee is absolutely gorgeous and we were so lucky to have her as a model. I hope it wasn't too much trouble. The fair looks like a blast and the food all looks delicious. I'm glad to see you guys are all doing well. Thank you so much again.

Love,
Courtney

Amanda & Jason said...

I miss fair. everything about it! The food, the sounds of the people on the rides and most of all showing my horse there at the fair. It looks like you all had a great time.